Thursday, November 6, 2008

Megazord?! More like MegaBored... by Tha Rizzla

So today I went to Whole Foods to buy my favorite kind of beer (which is seasonal beer) in preparation for the big Bama/LSU game this saturday - roll tide. Pumpkin Ale and Christmas Ale. Delicious. Hail Saban. Now I must explain, I am a man of 23 years, yet I cannot grow a full beard, so I appear to be much younger, sometimes being mistaken for about 19. As you can imagine, I get carded nearly every time I purchase an alcoholic beverage. So I go to pay for my merch, and the cashier is a young male about the same age as I am. I tell you this dedicated readers, I was NOT carded. Why you ask? Simply what I like to call "The Please Think I'm Cool" syndrome. Not to say this young man is not "cool", but let's explore this phenomena. Since we appear to be about the same age, this person did not want to look like the uncool guy of the situation by being a "square" and carding me, so he let me buy as much beer as I wanted. Not that it matters much to me in this particular situation, but it seems to be a growing trend that things like doing your job correctly, speaking correctly, and other various things that we all used to take for granted are becoming "uncool". Why is it that being totally inept at something is cool? But only certain things. For example, I am socially inept, does that make me cool? No. But I suppose I am automatically already uncool because I try to speak proper english most of the time and I try to be a good employee. Anywho, this is far from being the worst case I've ever seen. This is TPTIC syndrome on probably the smallest scale. What scares me is what it can turn into. I once knew a woman of about 41, let's just call her Marion. She was so afflicted with TPTIC that she was buying booze and cigarettes for children as young as 15, and would often times try to hang out and be part of the crowd.....of 15 year olds. A 40 year old. Maybe I'm just an uncool guy that wishes he could be that cool. Maybe one day, we will all speak with the most ridiculous and hippest slang that makes no sense, we can all wear the most mismatched and ironic clothing, and perhaps be completely incompetent in our jobs, parenting, and other social responsibilities, all in the name of being cool. So it goes. 
Roll Tide
Hail Saban

1 comment:

  1. HAHA! I have noticed this phenomenon, but now it has a name. Thanks for letting the world know. Awareness is key.

    ReplyDelete