Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Intro

Heyy errrybodayy. I'm Lorenzo, Renzo, Lawrence, L-Money, or Gangstaface. Either Or, pick your poison. I want to let you in on a little secret.............fuck up! =] Anywhoo, here's a paper so far that i'm writing for class. I couldn't think of anything interesting to blog on yet since this is my first. Next time it'll be blog-worthy I promise haha by the way sorry bobby I didn't go to your bday bashhhhhh =/. And lennard.........your are the man, son!

A place where you don’t have to worry about who you are, or boundaries that are agreed to be true. Sometimes thinking that it’s my place of bliss as if it’s where I’m supposed to be. Usually ending up on some distant reality where organic life is given human characteristics, and how it relates to the environment. I enjoy departing to this far off fantasy, and you should too. There is no right or wrong, there are no labels; only a belief that everything’s going to be ok.
During the early stages of modern art it gave artists a new take on how subject matter could be expressed. There were trials and errors, but movements began to develop that gave others to follow. Sure artists now have a form and content that did not follow the “ideal” ways of painting, but missing elements that operate the next set of movements were yet to come. In all of this, there was no sense of extreme discrimination or rebellious qualities. It is time for the modern movement to target humanity, and revolutionize society to a new experience.
Artists that had experienced WWI gave them the power to influence the public about the horrors of trench warfare. Several persons portrayed there works to lash out against the war expressing what had caused it. Especially the Dadaists. This movement (Dadaism) also rejected traditional aesthetics and was designed to offend conventional art. In all the midst moral, political, and economical crisis the Dadaists had accomplished the task of directing a new experience to insurrect human emotions. However this movement is not the aspect of what is yet to come. We are going to go above the real, and tap into our unconscious. Post WWI gave them the power to be potential “communists” that would contribute to the fear, and paranoia. The surrealists.
High school I had always been looked to as an impressive artist especially with the graffiti “crews”. The reason for this was of my intense characters that sometimes had no sense of structure or “likeness” of something. In class whenever I sketched most of the time the subject was not predetermined. As I began to sketch with fluid strokes it revealed an image that led to another image. Eventually I would have this abstract intense scene of randomness. For a few years throughout the years of High school it was the primary way for me to draw. Fellow classmates during courses would ask me “What are you drawing?”, but most of the time my reply would be “I don’t know?, but we’ll see how it comes out.”
My knowledge for Art history was non existent at the time, and I chose not to take part in curriculums that fell along the subject. Maybe it was because I was lazy, or possibility it was the fact that Urban Art had more appreciation within the school boundaries. It wasn’t until I experienced Modern Art that led me to learn how artists before me were able to harness the randomness. I began to wonder what it was that lead me to come up with these compositions. Surrealism had a way of transcending above the real, and using the unconscious as a tool. Analyzing dreams, and the unrevealed conscious was a way to liberate the imagination. I encountered a technique that the surrealists had produced which was called automatic drawing. To move freely around the paper and produce randomness, leaving everything to chance
The first piece of work that had committed me to learn more about surrealism was the Fireside Angel (1937) by Max Ernst. He portrays a vicious element in the foreground, and a horizon the background. Its organic movement and numerous flow of colors with extended hands relate to the style of mine. I have a tendency to include hands and organic roots mixed with a violent factor in numerous sketches. There is no meaning behind most of the art I produce. Because of the missing conscious from the reality we live in, the meaning the art is pure. There are no advertisements, or points of view to corrupt what is true. We have always been preconceived to believe that an apple is supposed to look like an apple. When you dig deep into the unconscious thought, and so happen to create an apple out of nowhere with no premeditation it becomes untainted. I did not draw an apple because I wanted to, it so happened to just reveal itself.
Surrealist giant Salvador Dali had a concept called the Paranoiac Critical Method. Dali states that “spontaneous method of irrational knowledge based on the critical and systematic objectivity of the associations and interpretations of delirious phenomena.” Used in some of his paintings having certain images provoke involuntary acts when looked upon. Paranoiac thought was the target for surrealist who used this method triggering the mind to not resort to rationality.
Practices of Looking pg 73. It states “The concept of the unconscious is crucial to these theories. One of the fundamental elements of psychoanalysis lies in its demonstration of the existence and mode of operation of unconscious mental processes.” This technique is commonly used throughout their psyche permitting them to tap into there suppressed fears, desires, and memories. Then understand how to help the individual coming up with several theories that could be used to treat emotional illnesses, investigate the mind, and seek a set of human behaviors.
For the last couple of months I’ve been able to harness my dreams, and consistently remember exactly what happened after I woke up. It’s 7 in the morning, I’m still in boxers with dragon breath collecting from the previous night. I open up a word document, and begin typing my dream. It’s not revised so that future thoughts or predictions won’t tamper with it. Usually writing a full page of how random our dreams can be. I want to come to the understanding of how Andre Breton, Sigmund Freud, and Dali had viewed there approach to our unconscious. These dreams I record is just a guideline for me to follow. I just need to understand them, and give the public a look into my reality.

3 comments: