Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I like it when you call me big poppa

Finally. Today is the day. Millions are watching. All over the world. Michelles got the Lincoln Bible in her hand, for the swearing in, not used since he was president. A sea of faces bob and sway. A light breeze blows. I won't ever forget this. Where I was. How this cup of coffee tasted. What I was doing. How I felt. Barack Obama, 44th leader of the free world, the fourth youngest president in history looks amazing, comfortable, collected and ready to lead. "The sweet victory of this hour." A black man becoming president at the steps of a capital building partially made by slave labor. Truly a great day to celebrate our democracy, our future and our people, oh and Aretha Franklyn's voice. Over the last eight years, I had almost forgot what it feels like to be a proud American, but today is different. That sense of hope, personality and meaning came flooding back. Like a stiff rush of blood to the head or a twenty-one gun salute. Fucking finally.

3 comments: