Friday, August 28, 2009

Jordan-Era players that weren't Jordan

Michael Jordan. 99.9% of all sports fans would say he's the greatest of all time, right? Right. While I agree, this sucks for sooo many awesome NBA players of the late 80's and the 90's; It wasn't just MJ that made me fall in love with the game of basketball as a young lad. I mean he was never in NBA Jam yet you loved that game. After a visit to And Still La Brea today, I was inspired to do a post on the forgotten, but still talented players of my childhood. This is my tribute...to the other guys. Kei remembers you.

"Sir" Charles Barkley
Who else do you know that has both an Olympic gold medal and an Emmy? Big enough to overpower small forwards, but small enough to be quicker than power forwards. Not only was he a savage on the court, he was probably one of the funniest dudes in the league off the court. (See Space Jam and his current job as a TNT commentator)


Larry "Grandma-ma
" Johnson
First ever SLAM Magazine cover. Best non pro-wrestling or comic book inspired alter ego EVER. Starred in an episode of Family Matters. Was also in Space Jam. Need I say more? I hope not, cause that's all I've got. But I still loved him.


So Many Guards.

So, it's one thing to play in the same era as Mike, but to also play the same position is like begging to be forgotten. There's at least 2 for every dream he shattered, but these are my faves.
Latrell Sprewell
Reggie Miller
John Starks(dunking on Jordan AND Horace Grant)
Dominique Wilkins(probably one of the greatest dunkers ever)
Gary Payton
and last(sigh),
Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway

This is where I start tearing up. Penny isn't just my favorite basketball player ever, he's my favorite athlete ever. Period. He made me proud to be akward and skinny and in junior high and high school I idolized him. Rookie of the Year. 4 time all star. Olympic Gold Medalist. He'd probably be retiring right about now with at least a couple of rings to his name, but then the devastating knee injury. Then the betrayal by Shaq that I'm still bitter about. His career was never the same. Whether you care to admit it or not he was the prototype for the best players in the league today, LeBron and Kobe, just ask them! His were also the second most popular Nike shoe line in history still, behind you know who. Miss ya, Penny. Anywho...done reminiscing for now. Celtics in '10 baby!

2 comments: